Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How to sell your self in today's job market

Friend: At least you've gotten hits on your resume. Mine has been up forever. Of course I hadn't listed my bar admission...

Roomie: lol right...I think it will help now that you have that listed. Also, mine is titled "cheap desperate aassociate attorney" which tends to draw in some curious people.

Friend: Ah, mine's under my name. I guess I should change it to "associate attorney who will work for hot man with money."

Roomie: Yes! That will get more hits. Or "Attractive female associate attorney eager to prove herself"

Friend: Or, I could be accurate. "Average looking female in decent shape but could stand to lose 10 or more pounds seeks grown up lawyer job no more retail please."

Roomie: No No No. 1) you are not average. 2) this is like online dating. You are expected to lie. The HR person reading it is a lonely middle aged balding man living in his parents basement. Give him a reason to pick up the phone.

No comments: